Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog

mrPogace
Site Admin

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog

Postby mrPogace » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:21 pm

So much wasted sheet metal..... Why four brackets for the barrel? Do you need 2x1 on both sides of the barrel? Does the stress analysis show that it is necessary. There is no coupler at the interface between the front of the cartridge and the barrel. That is just at a glance. There are a lot of places on the design where you could do the same thing with either less metal. There are a lot of parts whose manufacture could be simplified as well. I will give you more in depth tips later.

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Postby Henry Lee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:11 pm

The idea for the coupling between the casing and the barrel is this chamfer thing that's crudely represented in this ms paint design drawing.
Also, I drew this without a mouse pad so my cursor was shaky.
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog - Mini CAD Update

Postby Henry Lee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm an idiot. I forgot the solenoid. I'll add that real quick. That's kind of necessary to the shooter.
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog - Mini CAD Update 2

Postby Henry Lee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:18 pm

I added the solenoid space but didn't add a solenoid because I don't have a CAD of one and I don't have nice dimensions or anything but the spacing's there in the pipe. I also removed a bunch of 2x1 on the sides. Not going to post a download link because these are small changes and nobody downloads them anyways. People only care about the pictures.

I'm also not including any pictures here because I'm lazy.
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog - Revisions

Postby Henry Lee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 pm

We're now on revision 3 of the shooter and I've done nothing over the course of this week so far. :D
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog - Revisions 2

Postby Henry Lee » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:54 pm

New design idea:

One solenoid for each barrel. They're super cheap (relatively) so we can afford to do that. I may put multiple buffer tanks with multiple paintball tanks or have 2+ paintball tanks feed into a single buffer tank which would allow for a higher rate of fire. This is way easier than having casings or a loading mechanism. yay

all the relays!

Also, does anyone know how long the buffer tank took to fill up to 120 psi? I think it took like 12 seconds but I'm not sure.
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

mrPogace
Site Admin

Postby mrPogace » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:10 am

Do the math!!!! I gave you the equation for mass flow rate and volumetric flow rate. You know the mass of air that is in the buffer tank. You can use the mass flow rate as a constant to get an idea of what the time will be. Keep in mind if you want to model it correctly the fill rate will be constant until the pressure equalizes enough to get out of the flow choking condition. Afterwards you need to integrate the mass of air transferred between the fill and buffer tank with respect the time. Keep in mind that you will be solving for the integration interval, that is the time it takes for the integral to equal the mass of the remaining air that must be transferred.

Henry Lee
Filler of Blinker Fluid

Re: Henry's Ballin' Robot - Build Log Blog - Revisions 2.5

Postby Henry Lee » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Rev 3 of the shooter is underway but production has slowed with the start of the school year.

Each barrel will have its own solenoid and there will likely be 2 buffer tanks with 1 high pressure paintball tank and reg feeding those tanks.
Right now the plan is 8 barrels because 6 feels a bit underwhelming.

My plan is to have some 1" ID PVC Tubing (flexible) with Barbed fittings to attach the barrels to the solenoids and solenoids to the buffer tanks because rigid piping would make assembly and general design much more difficult.

There's no CAD download because the design is still in very early stages for this revision.
Henry Lee

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Return to “T-Shirt Cannon”